CIT/LIT – Job Readiness Program
The goal of the program is to train the youth for future employment in a Somerville Summer Camp Program or other job opportunity when they are age appropriate.
The Somerville YMCA CIT/LIT Job Readiness Program is a youth employment program that includes team building and leadership skills development, as well as recreational activities and hands-on training. The program effectively trains 48 Somerville youth ages 13-15 years old for future employment in a summer camp program and/or any other youth appropriate job opportunity.
The program will serve approximately twenty four, 13-15 year olds in each of the two 4 week long sessions (for a total of 48 youth in eight weeks) during the summer months, providing youth leadership, team building and job-readiness training activities.
The first session will begin on June 26, 2017 and end on July 19, 2017. The second session will begin on July 20, 2017 and end on August 11, 2017. The program will operate 30 hours a week, 9am to 3pm, Monday through Friday. It will incorporate job readiness, team building and leadership components through curriculum based activities as well as “recreational” activities.
The youth will meet at the Healey School or YMCA for training and recreational activities during the first two weeks of the program. The teens will spend a part of the third week of the program as CIT’s in one of the participating Somerville Summer Day Camp programs.
The fourth week of the program will concentrate on job readiness. Youth will learn how to fill out job applications, create resumes, go on mock job interviews, set up bank accounts, etc.
A Job Fair consisting of presentations by representatives from local businesses and youth employing agencies will expose the youth to job opportunities within these and other corporate partners in and around the Somerville community. It will help them to identify opportunities for entry into the job market.
At the end of each four week session the participating youth will receive a certificate of achievement at the graduation ceremony and a $100. stipend for completing the program.
WHO, WHEN, WHERE
- Girls and boys, ages 13 – 15
- 2 – four week sessions (June 26 – July 169 and July 20 to August 11)
- Monday thru Friday, 9am to 3pm.
- Strict attendance policy – no graduation or stipend after 2 absences
- New Program Location this Year – Healey School – 5 Meacham St. Somerville 02145
- Participation in all trainings/activities mandatory
- Breakfast and Lunch provided by Somerville Food Service from July 5th to August 11th.
- Program Services are free.
- Must be a Somerville resident to participate.
- Program services are possible through the contributions of United Way, Mayor’s Office of Strategic Planning & Community Development, YMCA’s Partners with Youth, local community & business organizations, local fundraisers and individual contributions.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information on our CIT/LIT Programs, please call Matt O’Donnell, CIT/LIT Coordinator or Joe Pinto, Youth Services Director at 617-625-5050.